Internal medicine

Did you know most people with
NTM also have Bronchiectasis?

Most of us see internists (or primary care physicians) for overall medical care. Many times, patients will see them first when we start to feel unwell and notice new symptoms, so your internist or primary care physician might be the first one to order diagnostic testing or treatments for you. Because NTM lung disease generally requires specialists to treat it, your primary care physician should be willing to work with those people to maximize the effectiveness of your treatments.

Your primary care or internal medicine specialist may also be the first one to notice depression or other changes in your mood, and refer you to a specialist for support. He or she may also be the one to order regular blood tests to monitor for any changes in kidney or liver function.