The Role of Referrals
NTM is infrequently diagnosed, but is likely not a rare condition. Rather, it is frequently misdiagnosed and often not even tested for.
Your local pulmonary or infectious disease specialist is the first step in diagnosing an NTM infection so that you can be treated.
Treatment of an NTM infection can be quite complex and it is best to have a specialized mycobacteriology lab analyze your sputum so the species of NTM is accurately identified and a determination of the best drug combinations to be used in your treatment can be developed.
Because of the complexity of developing a treatment plan, you may wish to ask your doctor about the feasibility of a referral to a center that specializes in treatment of NTM infections.
The treatment course developed for you will be a partnership between your local physician who is the pivotal member of your care team and the doctors at the referral center.
National referral centers that specialize in pulmonary NTM disease include:
- Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.
- The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Maryland
- National Jewish Health in Denver, Colorado
- Oregon Health and Sciences University in Portland
- University of California San Diego Medical Center
- University of Florida in Gainesville
- University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill
- University of Texas Health Center in Tyler, Texas
- Toronto Western Hospital in Ontario
- Several locations in Queensland, Australia
The choice of the patient who authored this website was to go to a national referral center because they specialize in treatment of respiratory diseases including mycobacterial infections. Her local pulmonary specialist works closely with the doctors and lab at the referral center to coordinate ongoing treatment.
Your local American Lung Association may be able to provide additional information regarding support groups or referrals.
Sign Up for NTMir Newsletters!